Tending to a busy life, in this day and age is almost inevitable. With juggling the kids, work life, and your time can seem impossible. Optimal skin care can seem so out of reach. The celebrities all have glowing, beautiful, seemingly ageless skin with an army caring for their skin. Don’t get stressed out. That ages you even more. Just know that what you were already doing for skin care is great. There may be simple ways to adjust your skincare routine and habits to make for better skin now, tomorrow, and forever more.
1. Cater to your specific skin care needs. Everyone is different and special in their way. Skin can be the same depending on weather conditions, sun exposure, diets, and skin care regimes. Oily, dry, and combination skin are all very normal. It’s how we take care of our skin, and its individual needs are what makes all the difference. If we have dry elbows and knees, make sure to exfoliate and apply extra moisture in those places. Oily skin could use cute clay masks to even out the skin, or it could even insinuate skin is not having enough moisture thus overproducing oils. Pay attention to what your skin does, needs, and why and you can work to correct these ailments.
2. Protect, protect, protect. You’ve heard it all before but are you paying attention? Your doctor, your mother, your friend, and even the lady at Sephora has said how important it is to protect our skin from the harmful rays of the sun. You may not see the damage was done today or even tomorrow but you will in 10 years and by then it would be too late to reverse any effects it has done thus far. So use sunscreen every day. Your skin will thank you for it later when it still looks as vibrant as ever when you age.
3. Moisturize when wet. Moisturizing our skin when we are still wet is a tip a lot of people don’t do just because we were raised otherwise and also because it might be a little odd. As soon as you get out of the shower, we are told to towel off all of the water from our bodies. By the time we look to apply our serums, and moisturizer the pores of the skin have closed, and minimal amounts of product are sinking in. The optimal time to use skin products is when the skin is still damp after a shower, and the pores are still open and clean.
4. Use warm water and never steaming hot for your skin. We want the lukewarm water to open up pores and clean them, but hot water can be rather damaging to the lipids in our skin. Lipids are there to protect our skin from outside irritants and bacteria as well as keeping in well-needed moisture. So if you use hot water, it will deplete these vital lipids, and then you can assume what follows that. Dryness and lackluster follows immediately after. Also, keep into account the amount of time taken in the shower. Longer is not always better. Try to keep shower times to a minimum of 15 minutes typically.
5. Exfoliate dead skin cells away. Clogged pores, acne, and dull looking skin can all be aided by exfoliating the top layer of the skin. Skin is always turning over new skin cells, and we need to help the skin do this by exfoliating and revealing brighter skin. Pay more attention to dry areas such as your feet, elbows, knees, and ankles.
Gorgeous skin is attainable. With a few tweaks to your skincare regimen, you can have that luxurious glowy skin you always dreamed of having. Keep at it and you will have it.